Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Mon Mar 10 03:56:04 UTC 1997

At 08:23 AM 3/10/97 +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
>Of course this scenario breaks down quickly..
>
>Listed registrant A "sells" to B who "sells" to C who...
>
>Now the sucker who "buys" from C has the problem of tracing authenticity
>of the "title" C is selling. This is not easy, particularly if B is less
>than scrupulous and has "sold" title to a number of folk including
>C, or if C is unscrupulous and is "selling" without have concluded
>and transaction with B.

This can easily be solved in a number of ways.  For example, a public key
could be publicly associated with each address.  A transfer is accomplished
by signing a message to that effect.  Similarly -- and very importantly --
control over routing of that address is also governed by that
private/public key pair.  There's more to this protocol than I've
described, but it can be made to work.