The Mother of all Solutions (Was Class B for Sale or Rent)

Ehud Gavron GAVRON at ACES.COM
Sun Mar 9 21:34:15 UTC 1997

	Let me add a word to Brett's comments.  This IS a world-scale
	economy.

	If a LARGE GROUP OF NETWORK PROVIDERS (that's us, btw, nanog),
	decided TOMORROW that WE will assign address space and route to
	it, there is no force in the world that will charge for it, or
	be able to change it.

	Here's the Ehud Scenario:
		1. Tomorrow Paul Vixie gets a pirate hair up his dec alpha
	  	   and puts in 64.in-addr.arpa. through 126.in-addr.arpa.
		   in F.
		2. We start assigning nets from this block (64/8-126/8).
		3. We start routing to this block (ok, I don't own a backbone
	    	   yet, but let me use "we" meaning nanog for now ;)

	Is this unlawful?  No.  There's no law about announcing routes,
	nor about delegating them in private internets.  For practical
	purposes, NANOG members form a private internet.

	Is this unethical?  Some would say 'Sure, only the InterNIC and
	IANA can assign IP addresses.'  Some tell me this thinking is
	obsolete.  Jim Fleming would salivate, and Karl Deninger would
	laugh.  Well, maybe.

	Is this impractical?  I dunno.  I figure we could bribe Paul with
	$ 2000 per assignment regardless of size (after all, two NS entries
	are all the same cost).  After about 52 /24s, he'd double his
	yearly retainer income (all figures guesses with no real basis)
	and probably be able to retire to Caymans.  (That's a Brett Scenario).

	Oh yeah, it's my idea, so I want anyone who gets an allocation from
	this scheme to send me a bottle of single-malt Scotch.

	Let me know if I've left something out.

	Ehud

	p.s. If I've pissed off anybody in this post, send me a private
	     note via us mail.  Be sure to include a bottle of single malt
	     Scotch or your note will be returned.  Just like email to admin at crl