Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Brett L. Hawn blh at nol.net
Sun Mar 9 13:09:00 UTC 1997

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, David R. Conrad wrote:

> >	The way I see it, it is worth no more than $10,000. As that is what
> >ARIN is going to charge any corp to get a Class B.
>
> How much is your time (spent making up and writing the justification for
> a class B) worth?

I think you miss my point, since the ARIN is for all intents and purposes
selling address space, who are they to say no? Apparently someone made a
case for a class B at one time or another, no longer needs it (for whatever
reason) and wants to pass it on to someone else and make a little profit in
at the same time. Now granted, I don't neccessarily agree with what they're
doing, but I certainly can't say anything 'wrong' about it either. I mean,
lets think about this for a second.

Say I 'own' the fictional block 223.101.0.0, its swipped to me, everything
is in order as it should be. I decide for whatever reason to turn off my
routers, sell my equipment and move to the Caymans to enjoy the rest of my
life. I now have two choices, 1: Return my block to ARIN, or 2: Sell my
block to someone else and make a small (or large for that matter, I'm sure I
could sell it for a interesting sum of money) profit.

scenario 1:

It gets returned and some other poor fool has to jump through flaming hoops
and surive a pool of toxic waste to get a few IPs.

scenario 2:

I change all the records to point to them, swip it out to them, basically do
everything needed to make them the legitimate 'owners' of that block, they
pay me a nice lump of cash and we're both happy.

As I see it, changing ownership of IPs is no different than changing
ownership of a domain.

[-]                Brett L. Hawn (blh @ nol dot net)                       [-]
[-]                Networks On-Line - Houston, Texas                       [-]
[-]                           713-467-7100                                 [-]