Class "B" forsale (fwd)

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Sun Mar 9 04:25:49 UTC 1997

Hi,

>I remember going through hell writing the justification for this network.
>I didn't know the NIC would allow sale of address space.

The Internet regsistries cannot disallow someone from selling IP
address space any more than we can disallow someone selling the
Brooklyn Bridge, gold painted bricks, or land with a lovely ocean view
a few miles south of the Everglades.

However, what we can disallow is the update of the registration
database when a full registry allocated block is transfered from one
organization to another.

Of course, although I work for a registry, I (personally) am under no
illusion that this will discourage the insistent as it has little
impact on the operational viability of the network, it just makes
finding out appropriate contacts when bad things happen a bit more
difficult.

Regards,
-drc