Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Stephen Balbach stephen at clark.net
Sun Mar 9 01:36:24 UTC 1997

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:
>
> > One class "B" Internet address available to the highest bidder.
> > Please call 415-854-5263 and leave a message if interested.
>
> I'm just a little curious. If the current policy (as stated by at least
> one Draft RFC) is that IP address space is not owned, how can someone sell
> a Class B? If they are selling it, that must mean that they don't actually
> need it, so therefore they are obligated to return it to InterNIC. On the
> other side, maybe InterNIC has an obligation to take it back.
>
> What kinds of guarantees are there that if someone buys it, that they will
> actually be able to get and keep this Class B?

Good questions. Furthermore

   The NIC gives IP space out to a particulr user which is registerd via
   SWIP's how and who is using it. SWIP's are required if you ever want to
   get additional IP space.

So, the seller is also put at risk at never getting additonal IP space if
the buyer does not use the entire Class B in a satisfactory manner to the
NIC. So, one could conclude the seller is likely a fly-by-night
operation. I'd be interested in hearing otherwise ;)

.stb