The Big Squeeze

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Sun Mar 2 15:47:48 UTC 1997

At 07:36 AM 3/2/97 PST, Randy Bush wrote:

>> I would suggest that the largest percentage of flapping prefixes in the
>> global routing system belong to prefixes longer than /19.
>
>Hence the convention to damp differently for different lengths.  See one of
>the foils in http://www.psg.com/~randy/970210.nanog/, which suggests that we
>over here start following the European lead on this.

Also, the dampening defaults:

 bgp dampening <halflife-time> <reuse> <suppress> <maximum-suppress-time>

 <halflife-time>     default is 15 minutes
 <reuse-value>       default is 750
 <suppress-value>    default is 2000 (I thought it was 1000, but docs indicate
                     otherwise)
 <max-suppress-time> default 4 times halflife-time

- paul