Internet Backbone Index

Art Houle houle at zeppo.acns.fsu.edu
Sat Jun 28 16:58:41 UTC 1997

Hello,

  We also have a 'ping' based local monitoring program. We monitor
response from our ISPs, national NAP's and DNS of local interest. See:

http://acns.fsu.edu/~howard/ping2/today.html

And you can get the source at:
http://acns.fsu.edu/~howard/ping2/index.html

It is table configurable to meet your local needs.

Art.

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, David P. Maynard wrote:

> Here is one alternative metric.  I have a monitor program that measures
> single-packet ping times to name servers that are registered as in-addr.arpa
> authorities.  I figure that people should put their name servers in a "good"
> position on their network and that they should always be up and running.  My
> goal is to monitor O(1000) hosts at regular intervals (currently 10 minutes),
> but the list currently hast just over 400 sites.  I started with the web
> access logs for a very large site with a worldwide user base, looked up the
> registered in-addr.arpa servers, then hand-pruned the list to weed out sites
> that block ICMP, etc.  ICMP echo obviously isn't the best metric in the world,
> but it has low overhead and allows me to monitor a large number of sites
> without being disruptive.  (Most people shouldn't mind a single ICMP echo
> packet every 10 minutes.)
>
> It's been very interesting to watch the graphs as various backbones have
> glitches.  For awhile I was comparing connectivity from a single-homed site to
> a 5-way multi-homed site.  The difference in fault tolerance was dramatic.
> The next step is to combine some policy routing with some /24 network
> announcements that are only announced from one backbone to compare
> connectivity via MCI, Sprint, BBN, and UUNET.  (Ie, run parallel copies of the
> monitor in an environment that simulates single-homed connectivity from each
> provider.)  The results should be interesting, but I wouldn't want to claim
> that they represented anything more than a measure of connection quality from
> the particular sites where the tests were run.
>
> At the moment, the tool and the data are proprietary since I wrote it for a
> particular client, but I'm hoping to get permission to release the data once
> there are some results that are closer to "research quality."  (We have been
> collecting data continuously since early March.)
>
> -dpm
>
> --
>  David P. Maynard, Flametree Corporation
>  EMail: dpm at flametree.com,  Tel: +1 512 670 4090,  Fax: +1 512 251 8308
> --

Art Houle     				e-mail:  houle at zeppo.acns.fsu.edu.
Academic Computing & Network Services 	 Voice:  644-2592
Florida State University		   FAX:  644-8722