Internet Backbone Index

Ben Black black at zen.cypher.net
Sat Jun 28 01:07:35 UTC 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Jack Rickard wrote:

> I don't think I'm missing it.  I think I'm disagreeing with it in as nice
> and nonconfrontational a way as I can given the crappy personality I have

apparently your definition of nonconfrontational includes calling people
morons.  i think i will expand my definition of "editor" to include
clueless network engineer wannabes.

> to work from.  Splitting hairs from here to infinity on what "network"
> means and what the world wide web is departs rather widely from my mission
> here, so I'm giving it short shrift.  If you don't know how ping and
> traceroute vary from data flows, I can't help much there either.

since you obviously don't know a thing about how things like peering,
NAPs, IP routing, and all the other components of network engineering
work, i this it humorous.

> If you want to draw a line of demarcation between a network and its
> performance, and a web server and its performance, you're free to do so.  I
> just probably won't buy into it.

and we probably wouldn't either.  but since that isn't what anyone is
doing, how is this relevant?

> On the actual concept that changing all the web servers will move the
> numbers: It might.  It might not.  I would probably bet at this point that
> there will be a lot of that going on among the non-moron crowd.  I'm kind
> of hoping for it anyway.  And then we'll see if the numbers move.  My sense
> is that they will move some, and not as much as most seem to think.  But
> it's true it could go the other way and be dramatic.  I'm open to whatever
> results derive.

so you are hoping backbone providers move their own home page web servers
in order to skew a severely limited and obviously bogus benchmark?  if it
is as easy as that to change the results, don't you think perhaps there
is something radically wrong with your methodology?  wouldn't that seem
to indicate this so-called benchmark isn't really testing what it
purports to?

if keystone just said "we are testing how long it takes to download a
random page from provider home pages" then there wouldn't furor.
instead, the claim is made that this somehow indicates the overall health
and performance of provider backbones.  that is utter nonsense.