RMON probes .vs. sniffer

Cameo Wood cameo at netsys.com
Fri Jun 27 18:26:21 UTC 1997

As far as FDDI, I am staying with a sniffer, Ethernet, I just leave to
the hubs internal diagnostics.  Because I work primarily with a switched
product, it just isn't a priority anymore.

If on a WAN, Have you looked at the http://www.visualnetworks.com product?
rmon capable csu/dsu that looks pretty nice.  Nice graphs based upon
application utilization, i.e 15% telnet, 12% HTTP, 62% ICMP... wait... 62%
ICMP?!.. oh no.. looks like Keynote/Boardwatch is flooding the network
again.

Anyway, also has nice sniffer capabilites.  Sort of like Network General
meets GUI gone psycho.  Almost amazingly useful.  As soon as they get a DS3
capable dsu with web-based reporting, and get rid of their Microsoft NT
platform.. I think they will really be in business.  But as far as FR and
reporting, troubleshooting, nothing beats this thing but a scope on the
line.