Sprint?

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Wed Jun 25 15:31:06 UTC 1997

> I was wondering if Sprint had any intention to fix thier hostnames on
> thier routers. Ever since upgrading the recent versions of Os's, the name
> resolveres no longer resolve names with '/'s in them. Ie:

The cause of this is not the OS, per se, its the version of BIND that
it incorporates. Recent versions do character checking before
accepting the response. This avoids nasty buffer overflows and the
like.

I can sympathize with Sprint's delay since my network has the same
problem. On OSen which included this newer version of BIND for which I
had source, I had to kinda "break" it to get name resolution until
such time as people decide on a new naming schema.

Wayne Bouchard                             GlobalCenter
web at primenet.com
Primenet Network Engineering               Internet Solutions for
(602) 416-6422   800-373-2499 x6422        Growing Businesses
FAX: (602) 416-9422
http://www.primenet.com                    http://www.globalcenter.net