logging systems/software

Joseph C. Pistritto jcp at pointcast.com
Tue Jun 24 21:24:04 UTC 1997

>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:34:33 -0700
>To: richard welty <welty at balltown.cma.com>
>From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp at pointcast.com>
>Subject: Re: logging systems/software
>
>At 12:27 PM 6/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>Well, there are two products I'm familiar with:
>	Remedy - which is not low cost, but is designed to do exactly what you're
doing.  In fact they used it a couple of years ago for InteropNet, (which
is where I got experience using it).  Not inexpensive, but a pretty mature
system that lots of people use.  Has web capabilities as well.

>	There's also a "bug tracking" system named "Visual Intercept" that runs
on NT and Windows machines.  We use it at PointCast extensively for bug
tracking.  I think it can probably be used for what you want to do too
(since it's just keeping track of problems in a database).  One good thing
is the schema is open, so you can run scripts against the SQL database it's
using (we use it on NT's SQL Server).  You can check out the web site at
http://www.elsitech.com/.  This is definately lower cost than the "big
ones" like Remedy, Scopus, or Vantive, and requires a lot less administration.