MCI outages

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Tue Jun 24 18:02:47 UTC 1997

Well, we could talk about the repeated outages of MCI....

Last Thursday and again on Sunday, I saw all my traffic between myself
in Michigan and my client in Mississippi going to Atlanta and a black
hole, instead of via Houston and Memphis.  This went for several hours
before I called MCI NOC.

I used to think the MCI NOC did an exemplary job.  I guess that was when
they were using BBN.

Unfortunately, nowadays, IP address of routers are meaningless.  They
want "circuit numbers".  Of course, I have no idea what _their_ circuit
numbers are.  Heck, I don't pay any attention to those under my control.

The end result was they refused to take a trouble ticket, even though
it was clearly their mis-routing problem.  They did admit that there
might be maintenance going on in the middle of a Sunday afternoon.

The excuse was that "I'm not a direct customer on either end".  Heck,
even my next level up service provider isn't a direct customer.

Long gone are the days when folks cooperated to resolve trouble reports.

And has anyone else noticed a heck of a lot of route flapping between
MCI and PSI, also through Atlanta?

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com