Internet outages

Matthew Petach mattp at Internex.NET
Mon Jun 16 22:28:45 UTC 1997

Recently, Pete Bowden talked about "Re: Internet outages", and said

> I think it's a great idea, the DAL list contains alot of non-routing
> related outage information -- it appears to be extremely dal-centric,
> talking about hosts which are down which serve specific applications --
> however, it does have the sprintlink outage information.
>
> Do you think DAL would want to have added alot of other OUTAGE reports
> which don't effect them?
>
> I think it would be good if Stan used and setup an outage list which could
> have reports which were of interest beyond those interesting to DAL.

That was part of the idea behind IPN, originally, at least as I
understood it.  You have essentially two primary types of outages;
scheduled, and unscheduled.  If you knew in advance, you put it on
the IPN pages.  If you didn't know, you generally were in enough
trouble, or enough off the air you couldn't get out to mail other
people saying you were down.  :-)

I'm sure we'd be glad to gateway internex.outages to a mailing list
to keep people informed, if they were so inclined and interested...

Matt