usdns.org

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Wed Jun 11 20:25:39 UTC 1997

On Wed, Jun 11, 1997 at 12:31:50PM -0700, Eric Kozowski wrote:

> I just received a fishy call from a guy a usdns.org.  Bottom line is they want
> to bill for .US domain registrations and give us a kickback for the .US
> subdomains that we host.
>
> What do any of you know about this group?
>

> --
> Eric Kozowski              VP Internet Services
> eric at structured.net        Structured Network Systems, Inc.
> (800)390-5945 Support      A Verio Affiliate
> (800)881-0962 Sales/Info   http://www.structured.net/
> PGP Key fingerprint =  0A E4 91 B8 BD CB 3E 95  42 12 04 4E 14 DF 86 76
> 'They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' -- Benjamin Franklin 1759

That figures.

There be lots of scamming going on in .US, and the IANA is responsible for
all of it.  They have handed out hundreds of registries to companies which
aren't even remotely in the same geographic area as the part of the TLD
being served.

One of our customers (the City of Aurora) was badly screwed by the holder of
the delegation for that area; frankly, if anyone deserves to be able to
manage that delegation, its the organization to which the delegation would
refer!

I don't know where Mr. Postel gets his cajones, but they're big and brass
when it comes to this stuff.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal