Handling DNS for temporary address pools

David Hares - ADP Autonet dhares at autonet.net
Wed Jun 11 10:39:24 UTC 1997

Autonet uses temporary addresses for its dialin users.  The good news is
that we're approaching 50,000 ports.  The bad news is that this equates to
100,000 DNS database entries (forward and reverse).  We're running BIND
4.9.3.

Since the address <-> name mapping is deterministic (the address can be
derived from the name string, and the name string from the address) it
should be possible to hack BIND to recognise these addresses and respond.
Has anyone done anything like this?

For that matter, how do most people handle temporary address pools?  Do
they even bother with DNSing them?

--
David L. Hares, Senior Staff Programmer
ADP Autonet                                Phone: (313) 995-6539
Ann Arbor, MI  48106 (USA)                 Email: dhares at autonet.net