NSP ... New Information

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Mon Jun 9 19:08:51 UTC 1997

At 01:55 PM 6/9/97 -0500, Jeremy Porter wrote:

>In message <3.0.1.32.19970608231642.00d49e1c at texoma.net>, Larry Vaden writes:
>>At 10:54 PM 6/8/97 -0500, Jeremy Porter wrote:
>>>This means that you should use renumbering technology as much as
>>>possible, so that when you can justify a /19 you can get one,
>>>until then, find an ISP that is multi-homes and can provide you
>>>the IP addresses you need, and consider two connections to them,
>>>giving you the benefit of being multi-homed without the cost of
>>>the routers needed for full BGP, or needing to justify a /19.
>>
>>A quick question:
>>
>>What is the immediate utilization rate required for an ISP's first /19?
>>
>>Please provide a basis in RFC2050 et al relevant documents for your answer.
>
>The /19 is required to be utilized in 6 months, as part of slow start.
>(Under Internic guidelines, under ARIN this could be changed.)
>Check out www.arin.net, www.ripe.net, and www.apnic.net for the
>indivdual registries polices.
>
>---
>Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
>PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9810
>http://www.fc.net

Jeremy, that's the way I read it also, but Kim Hubbard of InterNIC says an
ISP applying for their first /19 must show 100% immediate utilization of a
/19 to obtain one from InterNIC.  I don't see the part of RFC2050 which
supports Kim's interpretation, especially for a currently multi-homed ISP.
Do you or others?

Dr. Jon Postel has also been silent in regard to pointing out the authority
for the 100% immediate utilization rate.

Thanks,

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO               help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net> direct 903-870-0365
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland   fax 903-868-8551
Member ISP/C, TISPA and USIPA                  pager 903-867-6571