NSP ... New Information

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jun 9 15:44:00 UTC 1997

> One of the newbies (Livingston) has BGP in alpha using < 8MB for a full
> view and a 486 processor without stress.  While this won't make a core
> router, it seems to offer something to consider, even learn from.

And what the heck has this got to do with real routing on [inter-]national
backbones?  Please don't bother to answer.

> One of my projects 25 years ago was to reduce the time to calculate the
> square root on a Seymour Cray machine by a factor of 20 to avoid spending
> $8 million on a second machine.  The revised square root code performed in
> about the same time scale as the machine's hardware divide function.  The
> clue came from one of the national laboratories and was published in
> Nuclear Science Abstracts.  It took about 6 weeks to do the code and 18
> months for the solution to be politically accepted.  The original vendor
> does not always produce sacrosanct stuff.

We await your router product, but not while holding our breaths.

This is the network *operator* list, not a science fiction club.

Larry, your agenda is obvious and you are in a long line of folk playing
this sad game.  We all wish otherwise, but the fact of the matter is that
it does not work.  Sorry.

Can we get back to work now?

randy