BGP Routing problem

Alan Barrett apb at iafrica.com
Fri Jun 6 13:49:29 UTC 1997

> > Hey, Ravi, I thought you fixed that bug?  Perhaps AS4005 is not running
> > the fixed code.  Perhaps there's another bug.
>
> it's not 'another' bug.  (received only) means that soft-reconfiguration is
> configured for the peer and some policy denied the route so it's not being
> used - yet.

Yes, I know what "received only" means in this context.  It means that
AS1673 was announcing the route to DIGEX, but DIGEX was filtering it.

That's independent of the issue I am talking about, which is that the BGP
sesson between AS3741 and AS6180 had been shut down for several hours, the
route in question was no longer present in AS3741, but the route still
appeared (with path "1673 1239 4005 3741 6180") at DIGEX's MAE-East
looking glass.  The route should have been withdrawn completely from the
entire Internet when the BGP session between AS6180 and AS3741 was shut
down, but the route was not properly withdrawn.  DIGEX should not have
seen any trace of the route (except perhaps a history entry for flap
damping purposes).

> had he did a "sh ip route x.x.x.x" rather than "sh ip bgp x.x.x.x" he would
> have seen the less specific entry being used.

Yes.

--apb (Alan Barrett)