Loss of BGP peering monitoring via SNMP

Doug Junkins junkins at nwnet.net
Thu Jun 5 20:07:23 UTC 1997

I have written a simple perl script that uses SNMP polling to check the
status of some of our BGP peerings from Cisco routers.  Unfortunately, the
script is closely tied to our configuration information so it's not
appropriate to post as is.  As I'm in Tampa, I don't have all my
documentation on the MIB variables I used.

To get you started, here are the hybrid text/numeric OIDs used by the
script to poll the applicable data out of the tables:

   .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.15.3.1.7	BGP Peer Remote Address
   .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.15.3.1.2	BGP Peer FSM State
   .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.15.3.1.15	BGP Peer FSM Transitions

The premise of the script is to poll periodically for the state of each
peer.  If the state is different than the last poll or the count of
transitions was incremented (indicating a peering went down and was
reestablished between polls) a warning message is sent to a list of
recipients.  The Peer Remote Address table is used to dynamically discover
new peerings.

Other replies have mentioned the use of BGP traps.  Traps are probably the
better way to go -- we, unfortunatly, have some issues with our current
trap collection that didn't allow us to easily add the BGP processing.

- Doug

 /  Douglas A. Junkins    |   Network Engineering        \
/   Sr. Network Engineer  |   NorthWestNet                \
\   junkins at nwnet.net     |   Bellevue, Washington, USA   /
 \  +1-425-649-7419       |                              /