Wavelan & Linux @ NANOG

Rob Gutierrez rmg at ranma.com
Thu Jun 5 19:51:45 UTC 1997

I need to issue some warnings :(

> > I have a Linux laptop & want to use one of the WaveLAN (Digital)
> > wireless units.
> >
> > If someone has this working, I'd like to hear from you.
>
> I have a laptop w/Linux 2.0.30.  Hope you have the sources on your laptop.
> This is supported in 2.0.x.  Can't help you for anything before that.
> Nope, the generic kernels don't have Wavelan support built in :(
>
> Just in case anybody else is at NANOG and wants to use the Wavelans:
>
> cd to /usr/src/linux.  vi .config.  Search for CONFIG_NET_RADIO.  Define it
> (ie: delete the "#" and say "CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y"). Next line, add
> "CONFIG_WAVELAN=y".  Make the new kernel ("make depend ; make clean ;
> make zImage").  If you've installed Linux on a laptop, then you're not
> clueless and you know where to go from here (lilo, etc).

Sone will argue the "proper" was of doing this is:

"make config", and keep hitting enter and take all the defaults (actually
the .config current entries) until you hit "Network device support".
Carefully make your way to "Radio network interfaces (CONFIG_NET_RADIO)
[N/y/?]" and of course hit "Y".  Then 2 more questions to " WaveLAN support
(CONFIG_WAVELAN) [N/y/m/?]" and hit "Y".  Hit enter for all the rest of
the questions until you hit "The linux kernel is now hopefully configured
for your setup", and then follow the "make depend ; make clean ; make zImage"
routine.

	rob.