BGP Routing problem

Bil Herd bil at zeus.jersey.net
Thu Jun 5 19:02:34 UTC 1997

We have seen upon occasion where a dampened route will not be replaced by
a route of the same specificity for about 20-45 minutes.  While we didn't
care for this behaviour, I guess it was somewhat predictable.

What had us concerned was we have seen each of our three providers black
hole us on at least one occasion (sometimes more) when their backbone or
core flapped.  It could be described as appearing as if their borders did
not receive the information to withdraw our advertisements. Looking Glass
showed us "history" and "received only" entries, but no active
replacements...  similar to the symptoms that you are describing.
Sprint's NOC reported hearing active advertisements from our "down"
providerm but I heard this second-hand.  Killing our BGP session with the
offending provider after the problem started would not fix the problem,
our routes continued to be preferred to someone we no longer had a bgp
session with.  This situation would usually fix itself within 45 minutes.

While this doesn't happen often, it has the affect that having two other
providers is useless if the third is erronously advertising us.  Is there
a failure scenerio where borders will continue to advertise AS's due to
loss of connectivity with their interior routers?

Bil Herd
InterActive