NSP ... New Information

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Wed Jun 4 19:48:52 UTC 1997

At 01:36 PM 6/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, that was interesting.
>
>Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far.  I've gotten a lot of
>"sale" types of email, but also a lot of really good information.
>
>It appears as if I was right in my assumption that I needed to get my own
>IP block of PI space from the InterNIC.

Isn't the biggest problem with PI space having a big enough network so
Sprint and everyone else doesn't filter you?  Specifically a /19 or larger
(~ 8000 addresses)?  Can you justify to them 32 Class C's so you can be
seen everywhere?  I know of another startup provider who had this problem.
Its a chicken and egg scenario.  They needed to sell connectivity, but
couldn't reach portions of the net, specifically Sprint.  Kind of kills
your marketing when you can't get to the entire 'Net.  How do others deal
with this scenario in a startup environment, or even an established
environment where you can't justify 8000 addresses yet?

Eric