[nsp] known networks for broadcast ping attacks

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Jul 31 05:19:24 UTC 1997

On Wed, Jul 30, 1997 at 10:15:24PM -0700, Joe Rhett wrote:
> > .255 is _always_ a broadcast address, no?
>
> Uh, no. If the bit mask is smaller than /24, any given .255 address could
> be legitimate.

RFC 917 and RFC 922 (admittedly old) suggest strongly that this isn't a
good idea; I'm still searching to find the reference I remember that
specifically deprecates it.

I guess it matters, since I'm not aware of routers that allow the
specification of filter rule addresses with /netsizes.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592