TLD .ES screw up

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Wed Jul 30 16:32:02 UTC 1997

At 06:01 PM 7/30/97 +0200, Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC wrote:
>So my questions now:
>
>Does any one know a direct way to reach the InterNIC technical staff to solve
>this kind of urgent problems?

Flaming them on NANOG seems to work, but you get singed in the process
also.  Try  markk at internic.net. He seemed helpful.  From him:

"Hostmaster receives at least 20K pieces of mail a day. If you have an
operational issue of this nature, feel free to send it to action at internic.net.
The people who are responsible for monitoring the roots also read that box."

Let us know how [un]responsive action at internic.net is!

>Shouldn't there be a specific set up of procedures, forms and communication
>channels between the managers of the root zone and the TLD managers?

Apparently they're still drafting those.

<miguel.sanz at rediris.es>

> [...]
>Subject: EMERGENCY TLD .ES
>Cc: cert at rediris.es, Mark Kosters <markk at internic.net>, hostmaster at nic.es
>

>Dear hostmaster,
>
>I am the technical contact of the top level domain for Spain (".es").
>
>Much to our surprise we discover yesterday that a new unauthorized NS was
>popping up in everybody's caches for the ".es" zone.
>
>At first we thought that a cache infection attack (the kind of Alternic's
>against InterNIC) was taking place and spread the word that everybody in
>the country upgrade to the recent versions of BIND.
>
>However, some places running BIND-4.9.6 and 8.1.1 were also infected!!!
>
>We the went to check InterNIC's database and ... the problem is there!!!
>
>InterNIC has made a change in the delegation of the ".es" zone without
>our request, knowledge or consent. Instead of the authorized nameservers
>which are:
>
>   SUN.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.2
>   CHICO.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.3
>   PRADES.CESCA.ES		192.94.163.152
>   NS.EUNET.ES			193.127.1.11
>   SUNIC.SUNET.SE		192.36.125.2 192.36.148.18
>   NS.EU.NET			192.16.202.11
>   RS0.INTERNIC.NET		198.41.0.5
>   NS.UU.NET			137.39.1.3
>   MUNNARI.OZ.AU		128.250.1.21 128.250.22.2
>
>You have now:
>
>   SUN.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.2
>   CHICO.REDIRIS.ES		130.206.1.3
>   PRADES.CESCA.ES		192.94.163.152
>   LINUX2.DYCSA.ES		195.53.97.1
>   SUNIC.SUNET.SE		192.36.125.2 192.36.148.18
>   NS.EU.NET			192.16.202.11
>   RS0.INTERNIC.NET		198.41.0.5
>   NS.UU.NET			137.39.1.3
>
>For unkown reasons an unauthorized change has been made to the root
>zone and the InterNIC database. You have placed a bogus NS
>LINUX2.DYCSA.ES instead of the legal one: NS.EUNET.ES !!!
>
>Please CORRECT this as soon as possible and restart the root server.
>
>We would also like that you open an investigation about this case
>to know if this has been caused by some InterNIC's internal error
>or by an intentional ill will request made by someone.
>
>Please keep as inform about your actions to correct this error and
>of the results of your internal investigation.
>
>Regards,
>
>Miguel A. Sanz (MAS122)
>ES-NIC
>
>__________________           __                    ______________________
>                            /_/
>Miguel A. Sanz       __            __       Email: miguel.sanz at rediris.es
>RedIRIS/CSIC        /_/  RedIRIS  /_/              Tel:    + 34 1 5855152
>Serrano 142                __                      Fax:    + 34 1 5855146
>E-28006  Madrid           /_/
>SPAIN                                                 Network Manager
>____________ Spanish Academic & Research Network ________________________
>

>---End of forwarded mail from "Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC"
><miguel.sanz at rediris.es>
>

>---End of forwarded mail from "Miguel A. Sanz. RedIRIS/CSIC"

====
Eric Germann				Computer and Communications Technologies
ekgermann at cctec.com			Van Wert, OH 45891
					Phone:	419 968 2640
http://www.cctec.com			Fax:	419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider