ANS etc.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Wed Jul 30 13:33:30 UTC 1997

On Tue, Jul 29, 1997 at 06:44:24PM -0800, Douglas Jardine wrote:
> [1] From what I know, ANS was formed by Merit, IBM and MCI in 1990 to
>     run the NSFNET backbone. Could somebody update me on the current
>     status of ANS - i.e. after NSFNETs demise in 1995, did ANS become
>     independent and does it qualify as an NSP in its own right?

Yes, they did... and they were bought <sigh> by AOL.

> [3] Is there a web page which lists all the public CIXs and NAPs
> around the world? Pointers appreciated.

Unlikely.

> [4] Some recent threads on NANOG discussed physical layer issues like
>     SONET, SDH, circuit layout etc. Could somebody point me to
> technical papers / articles / books which describe fiber and
> copper technology in detail.

Ask in comp.dcom.telecom.tech.

Cheers,
-- jr 'we now return you to our regularly scheduled...' a
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592