how to protect name servers against cache corruption

Paul A Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed Jul 30 01:59:32 UTC 1997

Let me put this another more interesting and more direct way.

Postulate a name server with the following properties:

	1. Actually works on and is connected to the live Internet.
	2. RFC compliant except as nec'y to comply with #1 above.
	3. No DNSSEC, no TSIG, no SECUPD.
	4. Completely bug free.

You go right ahead and build that name server, and I will drive a truck,
no, better still a bus or even a backhoe, right through its front window.

DNS is not secure and cannot be made so.  BIND-8.1.1 is the best there is,
and it's what you should run, but as long as you run DNS without DNSSEC,
your confidence level should be set accordingly.

PS:

BIND is definitely #1, is almost #2, is definitely #3, and trying to be #4.