NSI bulletin 097-005 | Reissuing deleted domain names

Taner Halicioglu taner at isi.net
Tue Jul 29 23:26:32 UTC 1997

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, David H. Holtzman wrote:

> Effective immediately, Network Solutions will reinstitute deletion of
> unpaid domain names.

Hmm.  Does this mean immediate deletion?  As in, no ON-HOLD period?  Is
this wise, considering the many bookkeeping foul-ups that have caused
domains to go mistakenly ON-HOLD?  I know of at least 2 or maybe 3 of our
customers that have had this happen to them recently.

If there is no on-hold timeperiod, then NSI must at least grant the domain
"back" to the original holder, if someone were to have grabbed it during
its incorrect deletion...

Or am I misunderstanding the procedures?

Those that think this is inappropriate material for this list (at least a
clarification of NSI's actions, maybe a full-blown discussion is too much
;-) should reconsider.

	-Taner
      D. Taner Halicioglu                     taner at isi.net
  Programmer/Engineer/Sysadmin              ISI / GlobalCenter
    Voice: +1 408 543 0313                 Fax: +1 408 541 9878
 PGP Fingerprint: 65 0D 03 A8 26 21 6D B8  23 3A D6 67 23 6E C0 36