Internic does it again

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Mon Jul 28 21:29:07 UTC 1997

On Jul 28, Stephen Sprunk <sprunk at csi.net> wrote:

> Well, it's nice that he posted something, but why did he have to wait until
> 16 hours after the problem occurred [1]?  Someone else noticed the problem
> and sent a message to NANOG in UNDER 3 MINUTES [2].  Holtzman also made no
> mention in this notice about how a sysadmin overrode the "quality
> assurance" mechanisms or that they have made any effort to prevent future
> occurances of the same problem(s).

	To join this with another thread, I think it'd be a Good Thing[TM]
	if the InterNIC were to start up an outage list...it sure would
	be popular.  My only request (should any 'NIC people be reading
	this and taking me seriously, not that I think I deserve to be
	taken seriously too often) is that it be free of advertisements
	(even for NSI) or new payment schemes or /anything/ that isn't an
	outage that affects the provider community.

> Too little, too late.

	But, better than most of us have grown accustomed to expect.  I
	really don't think anybody here is trying to say that the InterNIC
	is now perfect, only that they've improved.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."