Bonded Pipes

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Thu Jul 24 23:26:00 UTC 1997

On Jul 24, Scott Landman <Scott_Landman at zd.com> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any comment on some of the new, bonded pipe
> products like the WebRamp M3 or Transendmodem?  From what I understand they
> are saying that multiple lines can be aggregated to act as one, virtual
> line.
>
> My question is:  will the ISPs support multiple sessions from the same
> account (name/password) without charging N X the number of lines per hour?

	I can't see how, without drastically changing the authentication
	methods used by just about every terminal server out there.

> If yes, then these like like cheap alternatives to ISDN.  If not, is there
> any benefit to aggregating?

	This type of technology is best used for dedicated connections,
	IMHO, at least until Ascend, Livingston, Cisco, and other
	companies that make big dial-in boxes support it.

	BTW, this question might be better asked of inet-access, since
	there's more discussion of dialup issues there.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net
     "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."