Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

Gordon Mercer gmercer at dn.net
Thu Jul 24 23:32:19 UTC 1997

You wrote:

> > > Well, since my bandwidth is necessary for my
> > > business, I think I'd be much more concerned about
> > > becomming the valid route than my upstreams, if they
> > > get better routing through me, it's not necessarily a
> > > bad thing for them unless they're concerned about me
> > > snarfing traffic.
> >
> > They've also got to worry about your bandwidth, which
> > could become a big issue depending on the size of the
> > two providers involved.
>
> If they've oversold their provisioning, then yes, they
> would, but I can't see how other than that they would.
> Perhaps I'm missing something? In my particular case, my
> upstreams are UUNet and BBN, and I've been particularly
> happy with the current arrangement.

I think I see where the miscommunication lies. We were
discussing ISP's running IBGP sessions with multi-homed
customers. giving you the ability to announce routes to
another provider tagged with my AS is what makes me
nervous.

Are you announcing routes to BBN as AS 701? or to UUNet
from AS 1?

Besides that, becoming a valid shortest path between two
providers that do more traffic between them than your link
to either of them can handle IS dangerous for them,
because it restricts their other customers' ability to
talk to each other.

If one of my customers had 'router bgp 7019' somehwere in
their router configs, I wouldn't sleep well at night.

Peace,

	Gordon

---

-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>--
Gordon Mercer  -=<Dedicated>=-
	       [digitalNATION]
703 642 2800    -=<Servers>=-	gmercer at dn.net