Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

Gordon Mercer gmercer at dn.net
Thu Jul 24 16:34:31 UTC 1997

You wrote:

> > Without the ISP having total control over the customer
> > router, a misconfiguration of filters on the customer
> > side could easily cause the customer to be a valid (and
> > 1 hop) path in the tables from ISP A to ISP B. Doesn't
> > sound like a possibility I would be willing to have
> > hanging over my head.
>
> Well, since my bandwidth is necessary for my business, I
> think I'd be much more concerned about becomming the
> valid route than my upstreams, if they get better routing
> through me, it's not necessarily a bad thing for them
> unless they're concerned about me snarfing traffic.

They've also got to worry about your bandwidth, which
could become a big issue depending on the size of the two
providers involved.

> Plus, you can filter out what you send to me if you're my
> upstream. That means you'll need a misconfigured router
> on your side *and* one on mine. I don't know your
> competency, but I'm fairly certain of mine ;). I put a
> lot more time, effort and care into choosing a provider
> than you do into choosing a customer.
> Paul

In the particular scenario being discussed, which routes
would you want from your upstream? You might want full
routes for the ability to actually choose best path, and
then the upstream providers loose control over what you
are sending where.

A and B can both filter what the customer sends to them
based on network, and then the problem is solved.
Unfortunately, this does not always give customers the
flexibility they are looking for.

I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing, but not
every Joe that a provider takes on does. My point is only
that this is a situation that I would not want to bring
upon myself.

---

-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>-<sMp>--
Gordon Mercer  -=<Dedicated>=-
	       [digitalNATION]
703 642 2800    -=<Servers>=-	gmercer at dn.net