is there a market for this?

Tim Gibson tim at taggnet.skyscape.net
Tue Jul 22 17:03:47 UTC 1997

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> We ran PC routers in our network for a few years. I had one at MAE-East
> and MAE-West. I at one point had around 20 in my network, and never had a
> hardware problem. We started using Cisco 4000s, but with a vary limited
> amount of RAM they did not last long. We then looked at upgrading to the
> 4500, and also at the 7000. The cost was to much for us at the time. Our
> problem was we needed more RAM and processor for BGP, but did not need DS3
> speed bandwidth. The PC routers work great, but we eventually needed DS3
> and we found that it just would not work well a PC.
>
> We now use the GRF, it was vary easy for us to make that move, all our
> gated configs were just copied over. With the GRF we have the same type
> of look and feal of our PC routers, but we now can do OC12.

Funny that you would say how great PC based routers are and then in the
next paragraph state that you've had to move away from them to the GRF.
The GRF is a PC based router (P-166 running BSDI and an optimized GATEd).
The GRF's strength is not it's routing, it's still a PC router, it's
strength comes from combining a good switch, alot of buffer space, and
the use of an route engine that is familar. It will be very interesting
to see a production Cisco 12000 to compare performance on PC vs dedicated
when an IP switch is in use.

Tim Gibson