is there a market for this?

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Jul 22 11:19:40 UTC 1997

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> Uhh, then you'd have backups, I know of several largish networks using PC's
> as routers, I personally have put in a PC router topology and never had a
> single hard disk failure, the drives are not very active, only really
> at boot time, and another point is that whilst doing this I never had
> the problems that a lot of ISP's with Cisco routers where having...

We ran PC routers in our network for a few years. I had one at MAE-East
and MAE-West. I at one point had around 20 in my network, and never had a
hardware problem. We started using Cisco 4000s, but with a vary limited
amount of RAM they did not last long. We then looked at upgrading to the
4500, and also at the 7000. The cost was to much for us at the time. Our
problem was we needed more RAM and processor for BGP, but did not need DS3
speed bandwidth. The PC routers work great, but we eventually needed DS3
and we found that it just would not work well a PC.

We now use the GRF, it was vary easy for us to make that move, all our
gated configs were just copied over. With the GRF we have the same type
of look and feal of our PC routers, but we now can do OC12.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303