question about per. hack

Paul A Vixie vixie at vix.com
Mon Jul 21 23:30:29 UTC 1997

>>i think this is the first time.  i'm cc'ing NANOG since several folks there
>>are wondering exactly why i think the FBI should get involved and why i think
>>eugene kashpureff should be jailed.
>
> Mr. Kashpureff has been kind enough to document his work at:
>	http://www.alternic.net/press/

What Mr. Kashpureff isn't saying is that he's not just leaking bad data
when someone asks him about something in the normal case of DNS events;
he is actively sweeping through the public NS RR lists and causing those
servers to ask his servers questions whose answers contain intentional
cache corruption.

Leaking the data would be a "hack."  Causing other people to ask questions
to which you then send intentionally corrupt answers is a "crack."  I am
astonished that here we are days later and it's still occuring.  Usually
the teenagers who perpetrate this kind of stupidity are arrested and have
their PC's confiscated.