DC fiber cut: field report

jamie jamie at comet.net
Fri Jul 18 21:31:32 UTC 1997

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Stephen Balbach wrote:

->As we left it struck me that this cut was not if, but when. And more cuts
->like it. There was no protection for the cable, no markers of the cable
->location.

 The no markers part baffles me. Engineers of yore are surely turning in
their graves.
 I wonder how many of the cuts (including the 2? 3? today [Fri]) are
due to lack of markings? And why no markings? My speculation is that
the suits have short-term-profit tunnel vision, and decided to bag them
in the name of the bottom line, but if anyone has other ideas, I'd be
interested in hearing them.
 Stephen, the first sentence in your quoted portion is prescient in light
of today's events.
jamie                                                       jamie at comet.net
            For PGP public key, mail me with Subject:GET KEY
        For random Ambrose Bierce quote, Mail me with Subject: ambrose
        "Microsoft was invented by domestic terrorists.  Remember, it's
                     no longer an import industry."
                        -wish I knew who said it