contracts and damages, was: BOOM! there goes WorldCom

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Thu Jul 17 20:27:08 UTC 1997

On Thu, Jul 17, 1997 at 12:05:50PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > From: Nathan Stratton <nathan at netrail.net>
> > I know this, I have a copy of the DLRs. What I am saying is Worldcom
> > changed the DLRs without letting us know, and now they all run over this
> > fiber cut. We request a copy of the DLRs on ALL our links. We started
> > this long ago when we had a MCI and Worldcom DS1 die because they went
> > over the same fiber.
> >
> OK, sounds like you exercized due diligence.  What kind of contract
> language specified multiple paths for those 3 circuits you paid for?
>
> And how much liquidated damages for an outage did you specify?
>
> Could you please let us all know how long it takes for WorldCom to pay up?
>
> WSimpson at UMich.edu
>     Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32
> BSimpson at MorningStar.com
>     Key fingerprint =  2E 07 23 03 C5 62 70 D3  59 B1 4F 5E 1D C2 C1 A2

Bingo.  That's the correct solution to this kind of problem (a re-route
under these circumstances, leading to an outage, should be *extremely*
expensive for the company which undertakes it).

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal