NSI bulletin 097-004 | Root Server Problems

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jul 17 18:14:00 UTC 1997

> Despite alarms raised by Network Solutions' quality assurance schemes, at
> approximately 2:30 a.m. (Eastern Time), a system administrator released
> the zone file without regenerating the file and verifying its integrity.

You allow mere humans to affect the process on which the whole net relies?
Oh my gawd!  I demand my money back!  :-)

But seriously.  Thanks for the explanation, David.  These things happen,
though rarely, one hopes.  We all kinda wonder, but don't want to add to
the problem by calling, whining, ...

Shall we have a gaffe of the week contest, this week's major entries being
this one and probably MAE-West/MFS?  We could call it the Metcalf award.
But, David, please don't emulate the competiton by doing it twice. :-)

randy