BOOM! there goes WorldCom

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Thu Jul 17 12:37:08 UTC 1997

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Scott Yoneyama wrote:

> As to railroad right-of-ways, they will only let you within 30 feet of
> the tracks, which is still in the ror. It is safer than anywhere else
> because of the difficulty of getting permits to dig in railroad ror (5+
> years here in Washington) even for other utilities.  Some idiot with a
> backhoe can still be way of target though and get you.  Derailments and
> floods are also big problems in rr-ror.  The only real protection you

I think the fiber Williams Co. has in the ground (most of the old WilTel
network) is much safer then fiber laid next to tracks. If people see
a sign that says "Fiber cable, do not dig" or "High pressure gas line, do
not dig" the latter gets much more attention. Last time I talked to
someone as Williams they were saying they never have had a cut along the
gas pipeline.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303