Railroad right of way - was Re: BOOM! there goes WorldCom

Rusty H. Hodge rusty at hodge.com
Thu Jul 17 02:06:38 UTC 1997

At 3:04 PM -0700 7/16/97, Scott Landman wrote:
> If fibers being cut is the culprit here, does going with a supplier like
> Qwest make sense because their fibers are running down railroad right of
> ways and, therefore, should be less succeptible to a backhoe digging where
> it shouldn't be?

Ha! There are at least 3 major fiber runs paralleling the old SP (now
CalTrain) train tracks from SF to SJ. These tracks run under 280 on the
south side of the city, and 280 is being retrofitted. There is lots and
LOTS of deep digging going on, in fact I saw a pile of those "don't dig
here" orange posts in a scrap pile next to the construction when I was
waling around there last week.

I remember signs for AT&T, Wiltel and Sprint on the same post, and I think
MCI but I'm not positive. One minor backhoe missup and there is a serious
outage in the city here.

--
Rusty Hodge <rusty at hodge.com>, San Francisco