BOOM! there goes WorldCom

Dorian R. Kim dorian at blackrose.org
Wed Jul 16 21:00:02 UTC 1997

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Golan Ben-Oni wrote:
> > You should never trust what your sales people say.  When designing your
> > backbone, its important to ask them for your DLRs (design layout records)
> > so that you can see physically, with your own eyes, the paths involved.
>
> I know this, I have a copy of the DLRs. What I am saying is Worldcom
> changed the DLRs without letting us know, and now they all run over this
> fiber cut. We request a copy of the DLRs on ALL our links. We started
> this long ago when we had a MCI and Worldcom DS1 die because they went
> over the same fiber.

And you haven't checked since? In my experience, path redundancy doesn't stay
that way. Either the first or second round of grooming in carrier network
eliminates the path redundancy, and I don't know if it's possible to win
against the transmissions people about that.. We've fought with carriers about
that for a very long time, and didn't get anywhere..

-dorian