October NANOG meeting

Susan R. Harris srh at merit.edu
Tue Jul 15 16:56:19 UTC 1997

Hello everyone - we're pleased to announce that the fall '97 NANOG meeting
will be hosted by Genuity and held October 27-28 at the Radisson Resort
Scottsdale, near Phoenix. The meeting will run from 9:00 a.m. on Monday,
October 27 (with coffee hour at 8:30 a.m.) until 4:00 p.m. Tuesday,
October 28.  On the Sunday evening before the conference, Avi Freedman,
the founder of Net Access, will present a tutorial entitled "Raise your
Routing IQ:  Design and Debugging Techniques for Intermediate Users" from
7:30 - 9:00 p.m.

We also wanted to let you know that as of the October meeting, NANOG will
no longer receive any funding from the National Science Foundation.  To
compensate for the loss of NSF support, we plan to raise the registration
fee from $100 to $150.

The National Science Foundation has generously provided support for NANOG
since the group was founded in February 1994, as part of NSF's support of
the NSFNET Backbone Service and the Routing Arbiter project.  NSF views
NANOG as an important forum for the exchange of network operational
information, and commends the ongoing success of the NANOG conferences.
Since the U.S. Internet successfully transitioned in 1995 from the NSFNET
to a commercial networking infrastructure, however, NSF has focused its
networking support on network research and development efforts, rather
than operational activities such as NANOG.

We wish to thank NSF for its past support, and look forward to NANOG's
continued growth and success as a self-sustaining organization.  The $50
increase in the registration fee will allow us to cover meeting costs
after the withdrawal of NSF funding.  We hope that this will not be a
hardship to attendees, and look forward to seeing you in Phoenix in
October!  Web registration will begin August 1; further details will be
available soon.

		--Susan Harris and Bill Norton, Merit