Alternic takes over Internic traffic

Alex.Bligh amb at xara.net
Tue Jul 15 15:36:58 UTC 1997

[shock - operational ingredient to DNS issue on NANOG]

I feel that a convenient way to filter out crud that polutes
your DNS (or any other crud for that matter) might be:
a) Configure a normally non-BGP speaking router in your IGP to
   run BGP under AS (say) 7778.
b) Static the routes to all alternic's primary name servers to null0:
   (or better to a non-existent IP on an ethernet interface)
c) redistribute these statics into BGP through a routemap if necessary.
d) Set up peering with a router running BGP tagging the routes as
   no-export (make sure you don't distribute them to peers or customers).

(credit to Paul Vixie for the "how to blackhole traffic" for spam
reasons which I've borrowed here - *PAUL DID NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS
FOR DNS TRAFFIC - THIS IS ENTIRELY MY IDEA*).

We're just about to do this. I'll tell you how it goes.

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks