Domain Name NASA.COM

Joe Shaw jshaw at insync.net
Mon Jul 14 20:04:05 UTC 1997

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> May I suggest that your customer sue, not the FTC or NASA, but the
> Internic for violation of the contract.  You paid a fee, they are
> required to follow their own procedures.  You should be able to get
> quite a bit for actual and punitive damages.
>
> And you would be doing all the rest of us a service, by setting a
> precedent.  We really cannot have Internic becoming an extension of the
> US government, or making arbitrary actions.  But enforcement of
> contracts generally requires a court.
>
> As far as I can see, you wouldn't even have to prove that NASA.COM was
> "in a manner reasonably calculated to convey the impression".  That
> would be up to NASA and/or FTC, should Internic get them to come to the
> court (third party cross complaint, perhaps).
>
> Although, for curiousities sake, what did this NASA stand for, and what
> was their product?

Just FYI, The Hackers Defense Fund (http://www.hackerz.org) has a class
action lawsuit against The InterNIC for some reason or another.  I don't
know where they are at with it, but I saw Mike Roadancer this weekend, and
he said that it was going well...

Joe Shaw - jshaw at insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
"Learn more, and you will never starve." - Paraphrase of Lee