NSPs and filters

Vadim Antonov avg at pluris.com
Sun Jul 13 08:39:47 UTC 1997

randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:

>So, at POP X, I take in maybe 100 prefixes, with maybe 1000 at some POPs.
>How do I build and maintain that filter list, and how long does it take each
>packet to get through it with a router that also does real routing?

That can be done, and is relatively easy.  Not in cisco's or any other
hardware-assisted box, though (figuring out why is left as an
excercise to the reader :)

My estimate is that the total filtering overhead is at about 2.5% for
a "software" router.  And, yes, i do plan to implement that kind of
filtering.

--vadim

PS. Hint: i described the technique for doing that in a mailing
    list, year ago.