NSPs and filters (fwd)

Michael michael at dook.org
Sun Jul 13 06:52:37 UTC 1997

>> This is not a nice thing to do to a router, especially while the router is
>> trying to keep up with 50 other customers...  And if more than 1 customer
>> wants this type of service, you start really feeling the load.
>
>I'm not saying UUNet should install whatever filters I want on their
>routers.  I'm just saying the net would be a MUCH nicer place if NSP's all
>did ingress filtering on their customer connections.  If current routers
>can't handle the load this would create, then NSP's need to find vendors
>willing to deliver the necessary power, or they need to rethink the way
>they design their networks.

Then couldn't the net also be a nicer place if the 'customer' filtered
their outbound packets? Of course this involves trusting the engineer's of
the downstream network to actually DO the filtering.

Why have an NSP drop several customers off of the net because of one
pre-pubescent ping flooder, when the offending customer himself can be
dropped (unless his network is administered by pre-pubescent ping flooders)
and not affect anyone else?

Michael