NSPs and filters

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jul 13 04:01:00 UTC 1997

> I'm not saying UUNet should install whatever filters I want on their
> routers.  I'm just saying the net would be a MUCH nicer place if NSP's all
> did ingress filtering on their customer connections.  If current routers
> can't handle the load this would create, then NSP's need to find vendors
> willing to deliver the necessary power, or they need to rethink the way
> they design their networks.

Most of my customers have customers who in turn have customers, not a few of
whom are multi-homed.  Same for UUNET, ...

So, at POP X, I take in maybe 100 prefixes, with maybe 1000 at some POPs.
How do I build and maintain that filter list, and how long does it take each
packet to get through it with a router that also does real routing?

randy