NSPs and filters

Daniel Senie dts at proteon.com
Sun Jul 13 03:25:51 UTC 1997

Dave Pokorney wrote:

> Jon,
>
> From provider side of things they have more packets to fly than that of
> FDT.  The more one has to filter, the less cpu there is to route packets..
> I suspect that this may be the only cause...

If a router is designed to allow handling of packet filtering
efficiently, then
it CAN be done without undue loading.

Perhaps you're all using equipment and software that doesn't permit
filtering at
line speeds. If that's the case, then INSIST that this be changed in the
next
version of software or hardware you buy. Perhaps my co-author of the
ingress
draft can comment, but I thought Cisco was implementing packet filtering
on the
switch processor cards to allow just this kind of filtering. Since I
don't use
Cisco gear (they're our competitor), I don't have all the scoop there.

Another thing I'd like folks to consider. Many of you manage the routers
at customer
sites. I would guess that in most cases, folks forging IP addresses are
NOT the
folks who have access to routers at a site. If you, as an ISP, manage
the router at
the customer end of a circuit, ADD FILTERS THERE! Make sure that packets
transmitted
from the customer's router to your network are VALID addresses. The
router at a
customer site plugged into a T1 should be able to filter outbound
packets at T1
speeds without trouble. If the routers you're using out there can't
handle that
speed, then you're using the wrong gear.

One way or another, both ISP's and customers must take responsibilty for
forged
addresses. If the network community will not take responsibility for
this, I
fear the courts may ultimately step in. Let's use the technology we
have, and
develop additional technology as needed, rather than risk legal
intervention.

Dan Senie
OpenROUTE Networks, Inc.

Daniel Senie                  dts at openroute.com