Domain Name NASA.COM

Jamie Rishaw jamie at intuition.iagnet.net
Sat Jul 12 07:36:01 UTC 1997

Here we go with the InterNIC.

I've been a longstanding cheerleader for the NIC, but I have to put all of
that aside on this one.

Today, without notice, the InterNIC turned "off" the domain name NASA.COM,
a domain which had been registered now for over two years.

In the letter that follows, the InterNIC claims that the registration of
NASA.COM violates the Space Act of 1958.  The Space Act of 1958,
which is found at http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/amendact.html ,
states:

Sec. 310. (a) No person may...knowingly use...the letters 'NASA'...as a firm
business name in a manner reasonably calculated to convey the impression that
such firm or bueinss has some connection with, endorsement of or authorization
from, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration...or...use (the NASA
ackronym)...with any product or service being offered...to convey (endorsement
or affiliation with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration).
(b) Whenever it appears to the Attorney General that any person is engaged in
an act or practice which constitutes or will constitute (a violation of the
above), the Attorney General may initiate a civil proceeding in a district
court of the United States to enjoin such act or practice.

Clearly NASA.COM and its content (which had nothing to do with space) was
not violating the Space Act of 1958.

I'm extremely disappointed.

The action taken by the InterNIC also violates their own dispute policy,
found at ftp://rs.internic.net/policy/internic/internic-domain-6.txt .
Revision 02, effective Sept 9 1996, quoted:
- Second-level domain names are registered on a first-come, first-serve
  basis.

.. NASA.GOV was registered on Jan 7, 1986.  NASA decided at that time that
   GOV was the most appropriate domain name, and chose NOT to register
   NASA.COM.  This was over nine years ago.

.. NASA.COM was registered on June 25, 1995 - over two years ago.  A domain
   name existed for over two years, and after ONE DAY the InterNIC pulls
   the plug. No dispute policy. No questions.

domain policy paraphrased:
4. Revocation. Registrant agrees that Network Solutions  shall have the right
in its sole discrection to revoke a Domain Name from registration UPON THIRTY
DAYS PRIOR WRITTEN NOTICE, OR AT SUCH TIME AS ORDERED BY A COURT...

.. Again, NSI violating its own policy.

5. Third Party Dispute Initiation. Registrant acknowledges and agrees that
Network Solutions CANNOT ACT AS AN ARBITER OF DISPUTES ...

.. (except when they feel like making exceptions).

.. NSI also states throughout section 6 of the dispute policy that it will
request information and wait 30 days upon any formal complaint.  The letters
that NSI received were dated July 10 and 11, respectively.  They didn't even
*bother* to ask.

The slide at http://rs.internic.net/presentations/dont/dcisoc/tsld015.html
clearly states that a domain name has value and that the policy buys time
for dispute resolution.  The InterNIC played Judge, Jury and Executioner in
this highly irrational and ill-thought move.

I welcome comments.

Here is the letter sent from Dave Graves.  Dave Graves' title is listed
as "Contracts Administrator" in NSI's IPO filing. It is listed as
"Business Manager" in "THE" 1995 press release announcing the $50
annual fee.

--
jamie g.k. rishaw  dal/efnet:gavroche          Internet Access Group
'whois JGR2' for PGP keyID/Fingerprint __      Network Operations/TSD
      "The machine's fine. It just doesn't work." -dan at nic.net