ATM vs. DS3

Eric D. Madison madison at acsi.net
Thu Jul 10 21:47:59 UTC 1997

Stephen,

Cisco doesn't have a lot of ATM stats avaiable yet.  We have been beating
the ATM developers to try to get better stats.. but no luck yet. We have
had a lot of problems the way the SAR chip accounts for VBR traffic.. and
they don't even do CBR.  The output/input counters on the interfaces are
not valid ways of measuring traffic either, they don't take ATM Traffic
shaping into account.  This is because the interface counters are
calculated before the actual SAR chip segments/reassembles the ATM Cells.
This can be proven by using an ATM traffic generator and flooding the
interface... According to the interface stats I was pushing over 200 mb
through and OC-3. I wish!!

So, in a nutshell, there isn't a real good way to measure
performance/effieciency on a Cisco.. yet.

Eric
      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
 ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: noc at acsi.net