ATM vs. DS3

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Thu Jul 10 16:48:54 UTC 1997

> From: Josh Beck <jbeck at connectnet.com>
> Now, the question is, what is the overhead of the serial (ppp?) protocol
> running over the T3? Since it is point to point, and not addressed, it
> should be less, or is this not the case?

The framing overhead for PPP over DS3 is about 7 bytes per packet.  You
can make it as few as 4 (PPP header compression) or as long as 10
(32-bit checksum).

I don't know anyone shipping PPP data compression yet at those speeds,
although I've heard of a project using multiple Stac LZS chips.

Anyway, you will get a lot better performance out of a PPP link than an
ATM link; certainly in the short term, and probably in the long term.

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com